The NZSBA is pleased to confirm that Addington CEO, Dean McKenzie and his Board of Directors have agreed to continue with the fantastic Met Breeders Bonus initiative.
Last year close to $100,000 was paid out to breeders who were members of the NZSBA prior to the 31st of August whose progeny had won a totalizator race at a New ZealandMetropolitan Trotting Club (NZMTC) meeting held at Addington Raceway.
Terms and conditions stipulate the breeder will be recognized for the bonus if the breeding entity/partnership has a 50% or greater NZSBA financial membership.
“This initiative has been fantastic for Breeders and having worked in the Breckon’s Winners Bar on race nights at Addington, many times I have had the pleasure of seeing winning owners, who were also the breeder get excited when realizing they were eligible for the bonus. In same cases, and this may seem strange, they were more excited about the $500 bonus then the race stake itself!” said NZSBA Chairman, John Mooney.
Addington Raceway recently surveyed trainers and breeders around the bonus, however awareness for the scheme seemed to be lacking, despite 214 individualsresponding to the survey, claiming they had won a bonus.
“We would like to see the number of those aware of the bonus climb to 100% obviously and the NZSBA has a role to play in raising awareness of the scheme. It has really helped us with our membership and we have built a tremendous relationship with Addington Raceway through our sponsorship of the New Zealand Oaks and hosting of CSBA events”, said Mooney.
The benefits flowed both ways with results indicating that some trainers and owners were targeting races specifically with the bonus in mind.
Dean McKenzie commented “The scheme is in place to show our Clubs commitment to doing its bit to help address one of the most critical issues facing our sport, that being the sharp decline in recent years of mares being bred. Although the scheme alone won’t solve this problem, we recognise that as the premier Club in the Country, we need to acknowledge this issue and it needs to remain at the forefront of any discussions aimed at reviving and strengthening our industry. We simply need breeding to be a more viable venture for our sport to grow”
The Met Breeder Bonus in brief;
Any member* of the New Zealand Standardbred Breeders Association (NZSBA) who breeds the winner of a totalisator race at a New Zealand Metropolitan Trotting Club (NZMTC) meeting held at Addington Raceway will be eligible for a $500 bonus payment.
· The NZSBA member or entity must be a fully paid up current member as at 31 August 2016, to be eligible to receive the bonus payment.
· The breeding entity/partnership must have a 50% or greater NZSBA financial membership.
· There is no limit to the number of Bonus payments a horse can earn
· A race is defined as any totalisator race conducted by the NZMTC at Addington Raceway (only) from 1 August 2016 excluding any Tuesday Graduation races, premier dates and excludes all Group and Listed Races
· The breeder must submit an invoice to NZMTC or the NZBSA within 30 days of the win for the bonus to be paid out.
· The $500 (plus GST, if applicable) bonus will be payable on the 20th of the month following invoice, providing swabs have cleared.